• Hong Kong Island
  • Kowloon
  • New Territories
  • Outlying Islands

  • The official languages of Hong Kong are Cantonese and English.

  • The population of Hong Kong is over 7 million, of which about 94% are Chinese.

  • Typical expatriate residential areas are:
    Hong Kong Island: The Peak, Causeway Bay, Mid-Levels, Happy Valley, Pok Fu Lam, and Wan Chai
    Southside of HK Island: Repulse Bay, Tai Tam, South Bay and Stanley
    Kowloon: Tsim Sha Tsui
    New Territories: Sha Tin, Sai Kung and Clear Water Bay
    Lantau Island: Discovery Bay

  • Housing: A 2-month security deposit is usually required to lease a property. The typical lease is for a 2-year term with a break clause at 14 months. Often foreigners will rent furniture while waiting for their household goods to arrive.

  • Schools: International schools give children access to major education systems from around the world, including British, Australian, Canadian, American, South Korean, Japanese, French and German Swiss. They are usually co-ed and accept children of all ethnic backgrounds and religions. The English Schools Foundation is the largest provider of international education, although it now sees itself as part of the local system, and all of its secondary schools have switched to the International Baccalaureate (IB). Waiting lists can be long and the location of the school and the availability of places often determine where expatriates coming to Hong Kong will look for housing.

  • Transportation: The transportation most foreigners use is private cars and public transport. Hong Kong's extensive public transport system is reliable and convenient. Drivers are not needed in Hong Kong but you can find them if required.

  • Healthcare: Most foreigners use private healthcare. The 2 main hospitals on Hong Kong island are the Adventist Hospital and The Matilda, and in Kowloon, Tsuen Wan Adventist Hospital and St. Teresa's Hospital.

  • Work permits and visa: All foreigners entering Hong Kong for employment, investment, education or training, including dependants, require a visa. Immigration requires proof of unavailability of local skills before issuing work visas to foreigners. A company-sponsored work visa is valid for the sponsoring company only. If a person transfers to work in another company, the immigration department must be notified to cancel the current employment visa. A visa can take 4 to 6 weeks to obtain.

  • Banking and currency: Banking systems are of an international standard. Documents needed to open an account are a passport or a Hong Kong ID. If you plan on opening a joint account, both parties must be present. The local currency is the Hong Kong Dollar (HKD).

• How can we get our children into an international school?
Demand is high and supply is limited at international schools in Hong Kong which means space may not be available at the school of your choice. However, CS Mobility will advise and assist you on making the most suitable choice for your children. We will make appointments with schools and accompany you there. Then we will help you find suitable housing in the area.

• What documentation do I need to secure a property in Hong Kong?
If it is a company lease we will need
a copy of the business registration and if it is an individual lease we will need a copy of your passport or Hong Kong ID. CS Mobility will advise you and take care of all the paperwork involved.

• How long does it take to get into Central in the morning and will I need a car?
Wherever you live on the island, you can usually get into Central within 30 minutes. The public transport system is excellent and very cheap. Taxis are also cheap and readily available. Many residential complexes have complimentary shuttle buses and international schools all have school bus services. Parking is expensive so many people decide to manage without a car in Hong Kong.
Email: enquiries@cs-mobility.com